Now that it is summer, I've been making a lot of substantial salads for supper. This is a vegetarian salad with lots of things I love: black beans, corn, cheese, avocado, tomatoes and cucumber, with a little pasta with a zingy lime dressing. Easy to make, too. Enjoy!
Black Bean, Corn & Pasta Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Persian cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 4 oz cubed cheddar (1/2 in cubes)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup small pasta shells or other small pasta
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh chopped cilantro (plus a bit more for garnish, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 1-2 limes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot minced and soaked in 1 T. lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- a few dashes of hot sauce (I use Rancho Gordo La Paloma)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the corn, cover, and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the corn from the water and let cool. Add pasta to the water and cook as directed on the package. Drain in colander and rinse with cool water.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped shallot in a bowl with 1 T. lime juice. Let sit about 15 minutes, then drain completely in a sieve and place shallots in a large bowl. Add remaining dressing ingredients, and whisk well to combine.
- Drain beans in a colander and rinse under cold water. Make sure the large end of the corn is fairly flat. If it isn’t, cut it straight. Then set the corn upright in a large bowl, cut the kernels off the cob in strips. Add all of the non-dressing ingredients except the cilantro, and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving if possible.
- Garnish with cilantro to taste.
Shari Broder http://sharibroder.com/