Shari's Unconventional Tabouleh
Inspired by Sherry Golden’s Good Tastes
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (NOT the bottled stuff!)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ c. olive oil or walnut oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 T. salt (sounds like a lot, but it’s for the whole salad)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups of bulgur wheat
- 1 ¾ cups boiling water (for preparing bulgur)
- 1 large grated carrot
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1 seedless Persian or kirby cucumber, quartered and sliced into ½ inch slices
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½-1 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup chopped mint (if you have it)
- 1 cup cooked chick peas (or other beans you like)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Toasted sunflower seeds, shelled pistachios or chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Minced scallions (optional)
- To prepare the bulgur: rinse bulgur and place in a medium (at least 4 cup) glass bowl. Pour boiling water over it and mix to saturate bulgur. Place a plate on top of the bowl to keep the heat in, make sure it is covered tightly (you can cover that with a kitchen towel) and let it sit for around 30 minutes.
- Mix the vinaigrette in a large bowl.
- Add prepared vegetables, beans and fruit.
- Add parsley, mint, and bulgur. Mix well.
- Add feta cheese, and toss gently. Taste for salt and add pepper.
- Serve topped with nuts or seeds